This is an innovation project that I submitted for ‘Pertandingan Inovasi dan Penyelidikan Secara Atas Talian’ that was organized by Education District Office (Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah-PPD) Beluran on 18th June 2020.
i. Synopsis of innovation
· This innovation comes in the form of a table. It has the aim to help low proficient students in English to write simple tenses & continuous tenses in English. The table consists of logical connectors, time, place, subject, verb, predicate, object and conjunction. After I have taught them these separately, then only I have come up with this table so that they will now that what I have taught them are actually parts of a sentence. This table will enable them to practice writing sentences in simple tenses and simple continuous tenses because based on the writing rubric, for them to at least get a pass (E) in SPM, they would need to be able to write in simple sentences. For English writing paper in SPM, the rubric states– ‘some simple structures may be accurate’. As for PT3, this will enable them to at least get a band 3 & 4 for B1 level in their writing paper. Based on the rubric, for band 3 of B1 level, it states – ‘Uses simple grammatical forms with a good degree of control.’ Therefore, this table is suitable to be used with an aim to reach to those two levels.
ii. Materials and ideas used for creating the innovation
· Microsoft Powerpoint
· A5 papers (A4 papers folded into half)
· Coloured printer ink
iii. Target group
· Low English proficiency students
iv. Objective of innovation
· Students will be able to write simple tenses and simple continuous tenses.
· Students will be able to know where to place subject, verb, object, and predicate in their sentences.
· Students will be able to know where to put their logical connectors and conjunctions.
· Students will be able to connect simple tenses and simple continuous tenses with conjunctions.
v. Innovation creation chronology
Week 1 – 4
Teacher teaches the subject, verb, verb-ing, logical connectors, time, place, predicates, objects, and conjunction
Creation of table on PowerPoint
Distribute the printed table to the students
Teacher teaches student how to refer to the table while writing the sentences
Week 6 – end of the year
Create writing exercises using the table
vi. Problem solved with the innovation
· Inability to write simple tenses and simple continuous tense in English
|One of my students’ work. The writing task was to write about their Chinese New Year holiday.|
vii. How to use the innovation
· During writing lessons
viii. Effectiveness of innovation
· One of my students said that it worked well for her. She was a weak student but it helped her construct simple tenses and simple continuous tenses in a writing format.
ix. Expenses to create the innovation
· A4 papers, Coloured ink – RM30
x. Other explanations regarding the innovation
· This table is suitable to be used to practice writing sentences during a writing class. However, weak students may build reliance on it during exam. Therefore, it is best to conduct a test before the exam so that they will remember the form of table in their head. This is done so that they will not rely on looking at the table.